Sunday 10 June 2018

Day 51 - Coonalpyn

And what a great vindaloo it was! It woke me at midnight. Luckily the facilities weren't too far from my tent. 

Another pea souper of a morning, heaver than yesterday!
I checked out the Silo Art and the big Galah before departing the halfway across Australia town.

Next stop was Iron Knob where the fog started to break up. That's almost 100kms at what had to be a single digit temperature! And why do people in white cars drive in fog with no lights on?! 

As the sun started to warm the vegetation as it was yesterday the nostrils are bombarded with a raft of different smelling Gums and sweet nectar. Beautiful! 

But not as fabulous as the sight of the clouds forming along the ridge of the ranges behind Port Augusta as I came over the rise. Like an old man's hair brushed back from his forehead. Ok, yes, it was much better and grander, but you get the idea. 

The day progressed very well with a tail/cross wind. A late breakfast at Port Augusta before continuing on the Eyre Hwy to Adelaide. I had originally planned to overnight in Adelaide but due to the good run I decided to head further east. I hadn't been on the road east out of Adelaide since the early '80's and oh what a difference! No fun anymore. 

The Prince Hwy heads south hugging the coast just south of Tailem Bend and becomes a B grade road. The main highway to Melbourne is the A8, the Dukes Hwy and this is the route I'm taking as I want to turn right at Bordertown and head to Edenhope via Naracoorte, then to my friends at Ullswater for the night. 

I've pulled up at Coonalpyn, a lovely little town about 160kms south of Adelaide and about 2.5 - 3 hours from Ullswater. A nice half day ride tomorrow. There's another stunning piece of Silo art here that I'll look at tomorrow morning on the way out. 

A good day at around 620kms.




No comments:

Post a Comment