Tuesday 5 June 2018

Day 46 - Esperance "D day"

A cool start to the day as I loaded up the bike and pushed it to the bike shop for an inspection to determine the problem and make a decision on next steps.
Brad kindly loaned me a scooter for the day.
On my return to the workshop Brad advised me that it wasn't the bevel gears, but the gearbox. To determine which gears had failed required engine removal and cracking the box open. Given the value of the bike it wasn't a cost effectiveness option. So, fly or buy?
Robyn said that if I flew home I'd be a grumpy old man for not completing the ride. She's right. So now I'm the owner of a 2012 Suzuki M109R.
Tomorrow afternoon after Brad fits a new rear tyre, I'll load up and head north to Norseman, before turning right and heading east. Maybe the day after, depending on how the bike goes and the weather behaves.
Today it's rained and blown a gale in Esperance, so I took an onsite van to shelter in.
Rog has now arrived in Adelaide in fine weather. He's now 5 days in front of me and I won't catch up to him until I get to Wonthaggi (the end of his ride).





3 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you are continuing the trip. Robyn is a wise woman and I am sure that a new bike is a small price to pay compared to the other options. Bad luck that you wont be able to catch up with Rog until your back in the east. Hope the weather clears and you get a good run on the new bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call. You can fly any time. And we wouldn't want you grumpy. And the rest of us wouldn't have got to finish your journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a good call. You won't be sorry. Safe travels mate.

    ReplyDelete