Friday 8 June 2018

Day 48 - Madura

A crisp 5c morning out of Norseman. Yes with my thermals on as it WA only expected to get to around 17c through the areas I riding today.

Fuelled up and calculated that the bike was delivering about 6.5ltrs per 100kms which is better than the M50. I'm saving money already!
Breakfast/morning tea was at Balladonia a bit after 10am. I'm now riding into new territory.
Not far out of Balladonia is the widest RFDS emergency airstrip that I've seen to date. Next comes the 90 mile straight. Most enjoyable. At the end of the straight is Caiguna. Time to fuel up and check in with Robyn.
The next 50 or so kilometres to Cocklebiddy provided enough road kill to feed a small country of two years. I know Rog stopped counting at 150 carcesses. There had to be one every 300mtrs. I still have the smell in my nostrils. Something that cagers miss.
It was only a bit after 2pm but the shadows were getting long. This is the area of the "border timezone". The unofficial timezone between Caiguna and Bordertown where you move your clocks forward 3/4 of an hour (if heading eastward). So it was getting onto 3:45pm by the time I pulled into Madura for the end of day. It was a spectacular view from the Madura Pass that the photo does not do justice. I had a nice tailwind all day.
 
Met a wonderful young family from Echuca who invited me to share their camp fire and then watered and fed me.
A good few hours had chewing the fat. The kids are learning heaps, and I must apologise for a couple of comments that opened lines of enquiry that shouldn't be had for a few years to come. Yes, I can here Robyn, Jo and Fran now. I was doing so good when it was just us blokes!
Anyway thank you for your generosity and friendship.

The generator runs 24/7 so the ear buds are in tonight.
Got a call from Rog who made it home around 2:30pm this afternoon. I'll catch him up when I arrive in 'thaggi in about a week or so.











1 comment: