Friday 8 June 2018

Day 49 - Nullarbor

Slept well last night with the ear buds in to reduce the noise of the generator.

I promised Hamish last night that he could have a sit on the bike this morning. I think it was a long night for him and I slept in too long this morning. After the rev of the engine I took him for a ride around the park. All good and happy.
First stop was Mundrabilla for toast and coffee. It's good to see an old accident vehicle put to use again as the roadhouse hack.

A good tail wind pushed me up the Eucla Pass. A great view. I found out later in the day that the airstrip (in the background) was closed due to the rain that had passed through overnight.
Onward to the SA border, Border Village and the giant roo. Roll the clock forward another 45 minutes. The unofficial border time makes sense. WA really needs to look at this.

Next the Great Australian Bite. Unbelievable!

I arrived at Nullarbor around 3:15om to a sea of water. Too wet even to pitch the tent. I fell on my sword and took a room for the night. Riding on the extra 200 kms in long shadows wasn't worth it.

Both wagons in the sunset shot are WA police cars. They had a delivery/despatch flight today and had to use the airstrip up the road a way. A 200km interstate diversion is all part and parcel for them. 

They were fuelling up for the drive back to Eucla.

And how's Rog you ask?

The poor Bugga has settled back into the humdrum of life in a home and bike in the garage. A couple of mates have called around in an attempt to lift his spirit. But it's hard to face a day without the grip of the bars and the vista on life that a motorcycle gives you. I recon I've got a couple of weeks to go before it'll be me. I'll catch up with him in Thaggi in about a week. 













No comments:

Post a Comment