Thursday 17 May 2018

Day 26 - Halls Creek

Last nights wind was strong enough to take a tener from a tight fisted Scotsman. We had our tents up against a small rise that protected us, but not from the noise.
 
After visiting the dam and the bottom of the wall we headed into Kununurra for breakfast and fuel.
I don't want to harp on it, but it's one of only few photos I took today. Have a look at my peanut butter and Vegemite on wholemeal toast! It turned up as a sandwich. Yes, the yellow is a lump of butter! I even explained to them how to make it! I saw the cook wander out to the shop section to get a jar of peanut butter. What the hell is this country coming to when you can't get even the basic of breakfasts? 

The south-easterly wind (up to 50kmph) played merry hell for us all day again. First fuel was at Doon Doon, where I clocked over 10,000kms so far. Rog was a bit over 11k. Not much at Doon Doon, but what there was, was bloody expensive.
Onward to Warmun for lunch and fuel. Both these stops required me to leave either phone or licence before they'd turn the pump on. Actually expected more of this on the trip.
Tonight we're at Halls Creek caravan park where the manager offered to lock our bikes in their shed away from opportunistic locals. We accepted.
Wandered over to the local rubberdy for dinner. Lo and behold they have Matso's on tap. I've never seen ginger beer on tap before. A bit exe at $9:50 a middie. Tonights taster was Hit the Toad, a nice drop, but as a Tooheys Old drinker, last nights Bishops Best has my heart.

A bush fire took hold at the back of the pub that lit up the night sky well. This was one of hundreds we've seen across the NT and WA so far.





No comments:

Post a Comment